Established in 2004, the mission of the Bucknell University Environmental Center (BUEC) is to integrate perspectives from the natural and social sciences, humanities, and engineering to enhance student, faculty, staff, and community learning regarding complex contemporary environmental issues and the interactions between human beings and nature over time. The BUEC seeks to have national level impact by developing and implementing applied research, curricular, and outreach programs in areas such as watershed studies, sustainability studies, and community-based cultural studies, among others. In addition, drawing upon Bucknell’s historic strengths in liberal arts eduction, BUEC’s support of innovative curricular programs looks to provide a national model for interdisciplinary undergraduate environmental studies across multiple departments and programs.
The Executive Director is responsible for overall leadership and management of the BUEC, its staff, and its programs.
* Ph.D. or equivalent terminal degree in an academic or professional discipline relevant to the Center’s thematic foci and programming.
* Evidence of substantive professional accomplishment, including scholarship, teaching, and mentoring.
* Evidence of fundraising accomplishments and overall programmatic and budgetary responsibility at a substantive and diverse level.
* Ability to represent effectively the Center and the University with a broad range of internal and external groups and organizations in furthering the mission and goals of the Center and the University’s instructional programs.
* Evidence of professional engagement in environmental studies from an interdisciplinary standpoint, including approaches in either arts, engineering, humanities, natural sciences or social sciences.
* Excellent oral and written communication skills.
Interested applicants should apply on Bucknell University’s online recruiting Web site (http://www.bucknell.edu/x19450.xml ) and select “Jobs at Bucknell” for details. Review of applications will begin November 1, 2011, and will continue until the position is filled.